Cookbook:Sweet and Sour
This is a simple sweet-and-sour dish that works well as an everyday meal, even with leftover meat. It is best served with rice, and perhaps also steamed vegetables. The sauce alone (no meat, cherries, or pineapple chunks) can be poured over rice or used as a dip for egg rolls.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 20 ounce (567 g) can of pineapple chunks in unsweetened juice
- maraschino cherries
- cooked meat (suggested: chicken or pork) or fish; also rice.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Mix the brown sugar and corn starch.
- Add the vinegar, soy sauce, and most of the pineapple juice
- Heat to boiling while stirring constantly
- Reduce heat
- Add pre-cooked meat, pineapple chunks, cherries, and celery
- Cook until celery begins to soften