Straciatella is an Italian egg-drop soup. It uses a chicken broth base, and adds flavour with fresh parsley, parmesan cheese, and pepper.
- 4 cups of chicken broth
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup of shredded parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley (~1/4 cup)
- Black pepper to taste (~1 tsp.)
Optionally, add some or all of the following for additional flavour:
- ~1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- red chili flakes, or chili powder
- Put the broth in a large pot, and bring to a boil
- Separately, combine eggs, cheese, and parsley, and beat until the cheese and parsley are wet
- Once the broth is at a rolling boil, use a whisk to set the fluid whirling
- Slowly add the egg mixture, keeping the broth at a boil so the egg cooks quickly
- Remove from heat, and add pepper
- Serve immediately, or reheat and serve very hot.
If the egg flakes instead of forming stracciatelle (long, wispy and cloud-like shreds), then do something differently. I dunno what :)
Since parmesan cheese is salty, it's unlikely you'll need to add more salt for flavour.