Cookbook:Stovetop Mac n' Cheese
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This macaroni and cheese recipe will take you back to your childhood. The sauce blends Fontina, Gruyere, Cheddar, and Monterrey Jack with egg yolk in for richness. It's sort of my secret weapon.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1/2 pound elbow macaroni
- 6 ounces heavy cream
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup each shredded mild Cheddar, Gruyere, Fontina, and Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat 1 gallon water to a rolling boil. Add salt and macaroni and cook macaroni to al dente.
- While pasta boils, melt butter in a saucepan or a saucier over medium low heat and cook until bubbling ceases.
- Whisk in flour and cook, whisking continuously, until blonde color is achieved.
- Temper in egg yolk. Add cheese and bring to just below a simmer. Cook, whisking continuously, until slightly thickened. Fold in macaroni and serve warm.