Jump to navigation Jump to search
There are many variations of Soto Ayam depending on the ingredients, the way it served, and the amount of spices used.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 whole chicken with bones or 1 kg chicken parts with bones
- 200 g cabbage, thinly sliced
- 200 g bean sprouts blanched
- 4 potatoes, steamed, peeled, deep fried until golden brown
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 25 g sohun vermicelli, soak in hot water for 10 minutes
- 25 g fried shallots
- 3 hard boiled eggs
- 1.8 chicken stock
- 3 kaffir lime leaves
- ½ stalk lemongrass
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 stalk green onion
- 25 g galangal
- 2 tbl. cooking oil
Spice paste, grind the following ingredients by using food processor:
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Stir fry spice paste over slow fire until fragrant.
- Make soup by cooking the whole chicken with spice paste, galangal, lime leaves, lemon grass, and bay leaves in a pot for at least 30 minutes until the meat is tender. Use pressure cooker for faster cooking time and better broth. for traditional aisan cooking bring soup to boil, cover and turn off heat and let steep for 30 to 40 minutes. this makes meat more tender.
- Add a little bit of salt or pepper to taste
- Leave the chicken in a pot until the soup is cool
- Remove the meat from the bones and slice the meat into tiny bit size using fork and knife, then set aside
- Put back the bones into the soup, put sliced green onion and bring the soup to the boil right before serving
How to serve[edit | edit source]
- In a bowl, arrange in layers: sliced potatoes, sliced tomatoes, vermicelli, cabbage, bean sprouts, sliced egg, and the meat on top
- Pour the boiling soup over the ingredients, but no bones or chicken skin may go into the bowl
- Put fried shallots on top, squeeze a slice of lemon
- Serve with hot steamed rice or slices of lontong (steamed rice roll)
Notes, tips and variations[edit | edit source]
- Many versions of soto Ayam don't have tomato.
- Some prefer not to mix cabbage with bean sprouts.
- As fried potato substitute, some like to put potato chips into the soup.