Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 lb (450 g) okra, washed
- 4–5 medium tomatoes, diced
- ½ medium-large yellow onion, diced
- 2–3 stalks celery, sliced or diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2–3 cloves garlic, sliced or diced
- 1 stick (½ lb / 113 g) butter
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Remove okra tips and heads, and slice into ¼–½ inch wide pieces.
- Sauté onion, celery, and bell pepper in butter until soft over medium heat, adding garlic to sauté shortly before the onion is soft.
- Add okra and tomatoes. Stir a few times to incorporate. If the mixture seems a bit dry, add a small amount of water.
- Simmer over medium heat until the okra is no longer sticky and stringy. The okra will change to a darker green color.
- Serve over rice or freeze to use in your next gumbo.