Risotto is an Italian rice dish, most popular in the north of Italy. Historically, risotto is the name given to all recipes that use rice as the main component and are served as first dish in a traditional Italian lunch or dinner as usually pasta also is. This recipe is one of the many variations on the risotto base with seafood ingredients.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 400 grams (14 ounces) risotto rice (plump, medium grain rice that contains a lot of starch, the types Arborio, Carnaroli or Vialone Nano are traditionally best)
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 glass of dry white wine
- 300 g of squid tubes
- 300 g of peeled king prawns
- 200 g of scallops
- 25 grams (1 ounce) butter
- about a liter of fish stock/broth
- balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- Cut the squids into stripes or rings. In a bowl marinade the squids, the prawns and the scallops with some oil, balsamic vinegar, oregano, salt and pepper. Let it marinade for half hour in the fridge while you are cooking the rice..
- Bring the fish stock to simmering point without letting the stock boil. The surface of the stock should just be moving a little.
- Finely chop the onion and the garlic.
- In a large thick pot heat a thin layer of olive oil and let the onion sweat very gently as for a soffritto.
- Add the rice and cook until it has a transparent look for not more than 2 minutes. Add some salt and pepper and the wine.
- As the wine cooks away you will see the remaining liquid getting thicker as it is absorbing the starch from the rice. When it is more or less gone, add some hot stock. Do not add too much stock all at once. The rice should never be submerged in stock. Keep stirring it and keep adding more stock as it cooks away. This should take about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Taste during the cooking to see if the rice is done. The rice should be soft, but have enough bite to it to feel the individual grains of rice.
- Five minutes before the end of the cooking time for the risotto add the marinated rings of the squids, the scallops and the prawns. Finely chop the parsley and add before tuning off the heat.
- When it's done, stir in the butter in small chunks at the time, taste to get the amount of butter right. Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Let it rest for a few minutes, and then serve.