This vegetable soup is a must-have item on the menu of every West Java (Sundanese) restaurant in Indonesia. This soup has some kind of appetizing effect because of the use of tamarind or (dried) sour starfuit as one of the ingredients. Sayur asem is a compliment to main dish such as ayam Ayam Goreng Kuning, Pepes Ikan or fried salty fish.
- Vegetable for the soup
- Spice paste, using food processor grind the following ingredients:
- Clean the vegetables, cut into bite size
- Boil 1.2 liter of water in a pot
- Put the spice paste and the ingredients, with vegetables needs longer cooking time first (corn, peanuts, young jackfruit, etc.)
- Add salt and sugar to taste