The sausage sizzle is an economical community or family event, common in Australia and New Zealand. Sometimes other food items are included, such as sliced onions cooked along with the sausages and used as a condiment, and some sort of salad might be available. This may be a fundraising event where the prepared food is sold, or it may be a group or family meal consumed outdoors. The quantity suggested here is more appropriate for a group or family meal, as each customer at a fundraising event is likely to purchase only one or two sausages wrapped in bread.
- About five Australian-style thin sausages ("snags") per person (thick sausages on special occasions, like the Queen's Birthday)
- Loaves of sliced sandwich bread (enough for one slice per sausage)
- Tomato sauce
- Sliced onions, with a little oil or butter (optional)
- Grill sausages on the barbie (eucalyptus wood fire is best) until the skins are partially black.
- Grill the sliced onions, if desired.
- Wrap each sausage in a slice of bread, running the sausage diagonally along the bread.
- Add grilled onions and tomato sauce to taste.