Cookbook:Rice with Tofu and Nuts
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Serves one as a main dish and 2 as a side dish
- 1/2 cup (120g) Basmati rice
- 1 cup (240g) diced firm tofu
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps blanched slivered almonds
- 2 tbsps chopped cashews
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 peppercorns
- 1-inch piece cinnamon
- 2 cloves
- 2 cups (480ml) water
- Salt to taste
- Wash the rice with several changes of cold water. Drain.
- Add the water, bay leaf, peppercorns, cinnamon, cloves and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for about 12 minutes until all the water has evaporated and the rice grains are tender yet separate.
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the tofu and shallow-fry until for a few minutes on each side.
- Scoop out of the oil and set aside.
- To the same oil, add the nuts and the raisins and shallow-fry until the nuts are golden brown and the raisins have plumped up.
- Remove from heat.
- Turn the rice into a serving bowl and fluff gently with a fork.
- Fold in the tofu and the nuts gently and mix well.
Notes, tips and variations
- The whole spices are intended to be discarded, not eaten.