Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Southwestern U.S. cuisine | Tex-Mex cuisine
Oddly enough, refried beans (frijoles refritos) are only fried once. The prefix "re" is a Spanish prefix meaning "very" or "well", inappropriately tacked onto a non-Spanish word.
- If using dried beans, wash them then cover with water in a medium pot and simmer according to the package directions. You may add onion halves or a ham bone, which you can remove at the end.
- If using canned beans, rinse them briefly before use.
- Smash the beans, perhaps with a potato masher.
- Add home-rendered lard or butter, totaling up to 20% of the total. (25% of the amount prior to adding) (optional, or you may use a substantially smaller amount of some other oil or omit entirely)
- Fry the beans, stirring and turning them until they thicken to the degree you desire, which can be anywhere between soupy and parched.
Recipes using refried beans include