Raita is an Indian garnish often served with spiced dishes. It acts as a cooling flavour as the fat in the yogurt dissolves and mollifies chili in the curry, while the taste of cucumber and fresh mint or other herbs refreshes the palate.
The essential ingredient is yogurt. Here is one simple recipe:
- 1/8 cup grated cucumber (about one inch of a cucumber)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 - 3 mint leaves, chopped (more to taste)
- 2 cilantro leaves, chopped (more to taste)
- Optionally 1 - 2 tablespoons finely chopped or minced onions.
- Ground cumin
- Grate about an inch (2.5 cm) of a cucumber and drain off some of the liquid.
- Stir the cucumber into half a cup of yogurt.
- Add chopped mint and cilantro, and perhaps some finely chopped onions
- add salt to taste.(rock salt goes much better).
- Sprinkle a little ground cumin on top.
- sprinkle red chilly powder if required.
Refrigerate and serve cold.