Rainbow Jell-O - a multilayered, multiflavored Jell-O extravaganza; based on a recipe from Kraft.
This recipe takes about five hours to prepare, although the time is spent largely in waiting; it is therefore best to plan to intersperse it with other activity and, if they don't mind the constant smell of Jell-O, best done with other people. It yields ten (or as many as you want) layers, alternating opaque and clear, of five colors. (The sour cream or yogurt, used for opacity, cannot be tasted in the final product.)
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
These ingredients will be divided between the layers of the rainbow Jell-O:
- 6 1/4 cups (around 1.5l) boiling water
- 5 (or more) packages Jell-O gelatin (4-serving size each; different flavors and colors)
- 1 cup (240g) sour cream or plain or vanilla yogurt
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Select one or more molds. The total volume will be approximately eight cups; a ring mold, two or three glass containers (as pictured), or any other assortment should work; for best results, the container should be at least 3in (10cm) deep, allowing for about ten 1cm-thick layers.
- Stir 1 1/4 cups boiling water and one package gelatin in a small bowl for at least two minutes, until completely dissolved. (In practice, it may not quite completely dissolve.)
- Pour 3/4 cups dissolved gelatin into the mold(s).
- Refrigerate for about 15 minutes, until the gelatin sets but is not yet firm: the gelatin should stick to your finger when you touch it. (The aim is for the layers to stick, but not mix.)
- Refrigerate the remaining gelatin for about 5 minutes, until it is slightly thickened (to the consistency of unbeaten egg white).
- Gradually stir 3 tablespoons sour cream or yogurt into the remaining, thickened gelatin.
- Spoon the gelatin on top of the previous layer (gently, so as to maintain a smooth surface).
- Refrigerate again for about 15 minutes.
- Repeat the above for each of the remaining flavors. Be sure to cool adequately between layers to prevent melting and mixing.
- When finished, refrigerate for about 2 hours, until firm. Remove the gelatin from the mold and place it (probably upside down) on a plate or smooth cutting board. Store refrigerated under saran wrap or aluminum foil. For best effect, serve sliced perpendicular to the layers, so each slice (approximately 1cm thick) displays the full rainbow.