Cookbook:Pumpkin Soup with Curry
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 15 oz. can pumpkin
- 2 15 oz. cans of chicken broth (reduced sodium is best)
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 1 to 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. curry
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 bay leaf
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cream
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Sauté onions with olive oil until translucent
- Add pumpkin and broth; mix well.
- Add all spices and simmer for at least 15 minutes; remove bay leaf.
- Let soup cool to lukewarm temperature and puree in a blender for smooth texture.
- Return to saucepan and add milk. Reheat on lower temperature to serve immediately or forgo reheating and store in a suitable airtight container
Variations[edit | edit source]
I have added twice the curry powder and still really enjoyed the soup. You also might add a little coriander. The above version is milder. Also this soup is fairly thick; consider adding more chicken broth if you like a thinner soup. You can also find versions without the milk added. And, of course, if vegetarian, vegetable broth works just as well.
Tips and Notes[edit | edit source]
Cooling the soup well before blending improves safety, but it also prevents the plastic blender top from absorbing the orange color of the pumpkin.