Cookbook:Pinto Beans of South Texas
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
(Redirected from Cookbook:Pinto Beans Recipe from South Texas)
- 1 lb (450g) dry pinto beans
- 8 cups water
- 1.5 Tbsp paprika or 0.5 tsp ea. paprika & pepper
- 1.5 Tbsp granulated or brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt, or (2 tsp salt & a ham hock)
- 1.5 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder (or more)
- 1.5 Tbsp onion - dehydrated or 1/2 small onion, finely diced
- 1 or 2 bay leaves
- 5 cups water
- Wash beans carefully and soak overnight in 8 cups of water.
- Drain and refill with 5 cups of water.
- Add all the other ingredients.
- Bring to a boil and simmer at least an hour, or until tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Do not drain prior to serving, the liquid is an important aspect of the dish.
- Can be served using slotted spoon, to allow draining, or with a ladle into small side-dish bowls
Yield: 10 servings