(Redirected from Cookbook:Philosopher (dish))
Philosopher (filosoof) is a dish from the Netherlands. It is an oven dish made of beef, potatoes, onions and apples.
- 300-400 grams cold, stewed beef
- 40 gram fat (cold gravy or butter)
- 4 large onions, sliced into thin rings
- 800 grams boiled potatoes, cut into slices (about 4 mm)
- pepper from the mill
- 3½ dl (350ml) skimmed gravy
- 4 spoons of crushed white bread (stale)
- apple compôte
- Cut the meat into small pieces (about 5 mm).
- Heat the frying fat or butter in a frying pan or a small wok. Fry the onions until the are golden brown. Put the onions aside.
- Put a layer after layer of potatoes, meat and onions on top of each other in an oven-proof dish. Season each layer of potatoes with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Make sure the top layer consists of potatoes.
- Pour the gravy over the top layer and scatter the bread crumbs over it all.
- Put some lumps of butter here and there.
- Pre-heat the oven until 200°C . Cook the dish for about 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the apple compôte
Notes, tips, and variations
- The taste improves if you let the dish rest for a while in the fridge before putting it in the oven.