Cookbook:Peanut Butter Cookies
|Peanut Butter Cookies|
|Servings||Makes about a dozen and a half|
Peanut Butter Cookies are one of the most popular kinds of cookies.
- 1/2 cup (120ml) of peanut butter
- 1/2 cup of granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 1/4 (300ml) cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Start by preheating oven to .
- Cream together sugars, melted butter, egg, and vanilla until creamy and smooth. If you're low on brown sugar, seek tip section below.
- Combine flour, peanut butter, salt, and baking soda in the mixture from step 2.
- After mixture is complete, flatten small pieces into cookie shapes with a fork and place on ungreased cooking pan at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Pull out of oven and allow to cool.
Notes, tips and variations
- If low on brown sugar, combine white sugar and 1 tablespoon of molasses together.
- To give a sparkly look, dip cookie in step 4 on a small saucer sprinkled with sugar.
- Smooth peanut butter works much better than chunky.
- To flatten with a fork, press the tines of the fork across the cookie and then repeat going in the other direction to give a criss-cross pattern.
- For the alternate recipe (see below), you can use peanut oil instead of vegetable oil.
This recipe has no egg or baking soda, and uses vegetable oil instead of butter / margarine; it adds honey.
- 1/2 (120ml)cup peanut butter
- 1/4 (60ml)cup honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil (see tip above)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or white sugar and molasses, as above)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 (300ml) cup whole wheat pastry flour (other flours likely work fine)
- Preheat oven to
- Cream all ingredients except flour together.
- Add flour and mix sparingly (should be dry enough to form into balls by hand without sticking).
- Form into walnut-sized balls and place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Flatten with fork (see tip above).
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes.
A double recipe makes about seventy 1 1/2" cookies.