Cookbook:Pastry for Cornish Pasties
|Pastry for Cornish Pasties|
Any good pastry can be used, but should be neither too rich nor too flaky.
I find this works very well. Adjust amounts as required.
See also Cookbook:Pasties.
- 1 lb flour.
- 1/2 lb mix of lard, and/or butter & suet, equal ratio.
- (Or use vegetarian equivalents)
- Pinch salt.
- (Omit salt for low-sodium diet, or use low-sodium salt)
- Sufficient water to mix to a stiff paste.
- Combine the dry ingredients, then gradually add the water as you mix to a stiff paste.
- Roll to about a 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut rounds with a tea plate.
- Lay on pastry-board with 1/2 on rolling-pin, put in filling, & fold.
- Damp & crimp edges, make slit in middle of pasty.
- Place on baking-sheet, cook in hot oven until golden-brown.
- from Cornish Recipes, Ancient & Modern, 22nd Edition, The Cornwall Federation of Women's Institutes 1965.
First collected & published by Edith Martin, Tregavethan, Truro, 1929, for The Cornwall F.of W. I.