Jump to navigation Jump to search
Mushroom ketchup is a seasoning.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 2 lbs edible mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tbsp salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp finely ground fresh horseradish
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- ¼ tsp cloves
- ½ tsp allspice
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 pinch of ground cayenne
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine the mushrooms and salt. Stir, smash well, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Transfer mushrooms to a non-metal container, such as a ceramic crock. Cover and let sit overnight.
- Combine the mushrooms, onion, horseradish, lemon zest, cloves, allspice, vinegar, and cayenne. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
- Drape a clean cloth over a bowl. Pour the mixture over the cloth, and squeeze to extract all the liquid. The liquid is the mushroom ketchup.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- One may sprinkle leftover mushroom solids over food as a spice.