Cookbook:Montreal Russian Borscht
Montreal Russian Borscht; this recipe was a prize winner in Montreal, Canada's Russian community
- 7 litres water
- 1 can stewed tomatoes, or an equivalent amount of fresh tomatoes
- 1 small can tomato paste
- sugar and salt, to taste
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic
- 5 or 6 medium beets, peeled and julienned
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 potato, julienned (optional)
- ½ large white cabbage, shredded
- Fill large stock pot with water. Add can stewed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, salt, onion, garlic, and beets, and bring to a boil for 20 minutes.
- Add carrots, cabbage, and optionally the potato.
- Return to a boil and cook for 1.5 hours
Notes, tips, and variations
It's very important to remember that this particular recipe is somewhat like wine. The older it gets, the better it gets. It is recommended to let sit in refrigerator for at least two days, before serving. The difference is truly remarkable.