Cookbook:Monte Cristo Sandwich
Jump to navigation Jump to search
A Monte Cristo sandwich is a sandwich composed of ham, chicken, and Swiss cheese enclosed in bread that is dipped in beaten egg and fried until golden brown. 
- Take three slices of white bread.
- Butter the first and cover with lean baked ham and chicken.
- Butter the middle slice on both sides, place on meat, and cover with thinly sliced cheese.
- Butter the third slice and place, butter down, over cheese.
- Trim crusts; cut sandwich in two; secure with toothpicks; dip in light egg batter; fry in butter on all sides until golden brown.
- Remove toothpicks and serve with currant jelly, strawberry jam, or cranberry sauce.
- Encyclopedia of American Food and Drink, John F. Mariani [Lebhar-Friedman:New York] 1999 (p. 209)
- The Brown Derby Cookbook [Doubleday & Company:Garden City NY] 1949 (p. 183)