Jump to navigation Jump to search
Microwave Risotto. This risotto is made using the microwave. It requires very little stirring and turns out quite well.
- 3 cups simmering hot chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash ground white or black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced yellow onion
- 1 cup uncooked medium grain rice
- In a saucepan, bring chicken broth, salt and pepper to a low simmer, keep warm until needed.
- In 8" x 8" x 2" an oven proof dish (or 10" quiche dish), heat oil and butter in microwave for 2-minutes.
- Add minced onion to the oven proof dish, stir to coat with oil, cook in microwave for 4-minutes.
- Add uncooked rice to the oven proof dish, stir to coat with oil, cook in microwave for another 4-minutes.
- Pour simmering chicken broth into the oven proof dish and stir well. Microwave 9-minutes.
- Stir rice and chicken broth well and microwave another 9-minutes.
- If a creamier risotto is desired, add 1/4-cup warm water, stir well and microwave for another 2-minutes.
Makes 3 main dish servings or 6 side dish servings.
Notes, tips and variations
- For a 750-watt microwave, use 100% power settings for each time interval. For 1000 or 1500-watt microwaves, use 70% power settings for each time interval.
- As a variation, use 2 1/2-cups chicken broth and 1/2-cup white wine.
- Freshly grated Parmesan cheese may also be added after cooking.