Cookbook:Medu Vada (South Indian Savory Lentil Donut)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Medu Vada (South Indian Savory Lentil Donut)|
A vada is a savoury South Indian doughnut made from lentils (or sometimes potatoes). This is a recipe for medu vada. It is commonly accompanied by idli.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup (240 g) skinless black gram
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp asafoetida
- 8–10 curry leaves
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp crushed black peppercorns
- Oil to fry
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Wash and soak urad dal for 6 hours. Grind into a fine paste.
- Add salt, asafoetida, curry leaves, cumin powder, and crushed peppercorns to the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Wet your palms and take batter into the palms.
- Shape into balls and make a hole with the thumb in the centre like a doughnut.
- Deep-fry this in medium-hot oil until golden brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney.