Cookbook:Mediterranean Beef Stew
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Mediterranean Beef Stew|
This is a hearty and flavoursome beef stew inspired by the Mediterranean. It is based on a dish cooked by Keith Floyd in his Floyd around the Med TV series.
- 500g (1.1lb) of lean beef stewing/braising steak (in steaks, not diced)
- 600g (1.3lb) of green olives, stones removed
- Six large tomatoes, diced
- One onion, finely chopped
- One large clove of garlic, finely chopped
- Olive oil
- In a large saucepan or casserole dish, gently fry the onion and garlic in plenty of good olive oil for a few minutes, taking care not to brown them.
- Season the beef well with salt and black pepper and immediately add to the pan. Fry until evenly sealed and lightly browned.
- Add the olives and tomatoes to the pan and simmer gently for two hours with the lid on.
- Serve. The olives make this a filling meal in itself, but it could be served with rice or simply with bread to mop-up the gravy.