Cookbook:Lentil, Barley, and Tomato Soup
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Lentil, Barley, and Tomato Soup|
Alexandra soup is a puréed vegetable soup, containing lentils, barley, and tomato. It makes for a warming meal.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup (240 ml) lentils
- 2 heaped tablespoons (30 ml) barley
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups (720 ml) water
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Salt to taste
- Pepper, to taste
Preparation[edit | edit source]
- Soak the lentils and barley together overnight, then drain. This step is optional.
- Fry the onion in the butter until soft.
- Add the lentils, barley, and water.
- Cook until the lentils are tender—this will take longer if grains are not soaked.
- Add the tomatoes when the soup is almost ready.
- Purée with a food mill, blender, or food processor.
- Reheat and adjust the seasoning.