Cookbook:Lamb and Okra Stew (Khoresht Bamiye)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Khoresht bamiye is a Persian lamb and okra stew.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
For 6 servings:
- 3-4 onions, peeled and thinly sliced
- Cooking oil
- 500 grams stewing lamb or beef, cut into small pieces
- 750 grams okra, washed with stems trimmed
- Black pepper
- 3-4 spoons tomato paste
- 2-3 spoons fresh lime juice
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Fry the sliced onion in oil until slightly golden.
- Add the meat and fry with the onions until the color changes.
- Add 3 glasses of hot water and bring to boil. Turn heat down and let boil slowly for about 45 minutes, adding more hot water during cooking if needed.
- Add okra, salt, pepper, and tomato paste to the meat. Cook for another 10-15 minutes. Take care not to overcook the okras so that they do not become slippery.
- Add lime juice and adjust seasoning. Cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Serve with white rice.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- If desired, potatoes can also be added to khoresht bamieh. In that case, 500 grams of potatoes should be washed, peeled and cut into small pieces, and added in with 500 grams of okra (or slightly earlier; required cooking time depends somewhat on the size of the cut pieces).