Kugelis (also bulvių plokštainis, the lexically correct non-foreign name, literally "flat potato dish", or banda, a dialecticism frequent especially in the Dzūkija region) is a baked potato pudding that is a Lithuanian dish. Its main ingredients are potatoes, bacon, milk, onions, and eggs. It may be spiced with salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and/or marjoram. It is usually eaten with sour cream and/or crumbled fried fat white bacon (spirgai).
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 lbs. potatoes, peeled and grated (or ground with a food processor)
- 2 med. onions, grated
- 1 lb. bacon, fried and crumbled (reserve about ¼ cup drippings)
- 1 stick of butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 lg. can evaporated milk
- 4 tsp. salt
- pepper to taste (about a teaspoon)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Peel and grate or grind (with a fine disc) potatoes and onions. Do not drain.
- Fry and crumble bacon, add to potatoes and onions, along with ¼ cup drippings. Mix well.
- Beat well 6 eggs, add evaporated milk, melted butter, salt and pepper, and mix well.
- Add egg mixture to potato mixture, and mix together.
- Pour into a well greased 9x13 cake pan (yes, it'll fit – barely).
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 90 minutes.