Cookbook:Kugelis (Lithuanian Baked Potato Pudding)
|Kugelis (Lithuanian Baked Potato Pudding)|
Kugelis, also called bulvių plokštainis (literally "flat potato dish") or banda, is a Lithuanian baked potato pudding. Its main ingredients are potatoes, bacon, milk, onions, and eggs. It may be spiced with salt, black pepper, bay leaves, and/or marjoram. It is usually eaten with sour cream and/or crumbled fried fat white bacon (spirgai).
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 5 lb potatoes, peeled and grated (or ground with a food processor)
- 2 medium onions, grated
- 1 lb bacon, fried and crumbled (reserve about ¼ cup drippings)
- 1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, melted
- 6 eggs
- 1 large can evaporated milk
- 4 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste (about 1 tsp)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Combine the grated potatoes and onions.
- Fry and crumble bacon. Add to the potato mixture along with ¼ cup bacon fat. Mix well.
- Beat the eggs, and stir in the evaporated milk, melted butter, salt, and pepper.
- Mix the egg mixture into the potato mixture.
- Pour into a well-greased 9x13-inch cake pan—it should just barely fit.
- Bake at 350°F (175°C) for 90 minutes.
- Slice into squares, and top with sour cream or applesauce.