Cookbook:Kroppkakor (Swedish Potato and Pork Dumplings)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
(Redirected from Cookbook:Kroppkakor)
|Kroppkakor (Swedish Potato and Pork Dumplings)|
Kroppkakor is a traditional Swedish dish of potato dumplings with a pork or bacon filling. They are cooked and served with butter and lingonberry jam. There are some regional variations to the recipe.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 kg cooked potatoes, mashed
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 100 g smoked ham, diced
- 100 g bacon, diced
- White pepper
- Allspice (optional)
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Mound the mashed potatoes on a work surface and make an indentation in the middle.
- Put yolks, flour, and salt in the indentation, and quickly work into a dough. Too much kneading will make the dough tough. Let it rest for a few minutes.
- Fry the onions until translucent. Add the bacon and ham, and cook until it gets colored. Season with pepper.
- Shape the dough into a thick log. Cut the log into thick slices, and make an indentation in each slice.
- Place some of the onion and meat filling in the indentation, and top with another dough slice. Press the edges together to seal, and roll into a ball.
- Lower the balls into boiling salted water, and boil them for about 10–12 minutes or until they float to the surface. Don’t boil too many at a time, as they will then have some difficulty floating to the surface.
- Remove them with a perforated spoon, and transfer them to a hot serving plate.
- Serve hot with melted butter and red whortleberry (lingonberry) or cranberry jam.