Jump to navigation Jump to search
Kroppkakor is a traditional Swedish dish: potato dumplings with a filling of pork or bacon. They are cooked and served with butter and lingonberry jam. There are some regional variations to the recipe.
- 1 kg cooked potatoes
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 onion
- 100 g smoked ham
- 100 g bacon
- salt, pepper
- optional allspice
- Mash the potatoes. Put this on a breadboard and make a small pit in the middle.
- Put eggs, flour and salt in the pit and work the potato dough fast together. Too much kneading will make the potato tough.
- Chop the onion finely, cut the bacon and ham into small pieces and fry it until it gets coloured. Flavour it with white pepper.
- Form the dough into a thick roll. Cut it in thick slices and put a pile of bacon mix in a pit in a slice, then put another slice on top of it, press the edges together and roll it into a ball.
- Lower the balls into boiling salted water and boil them approx. 10-12 minutes or until they float to the surface. Pick them up with a perforated ladle and put them on a hot serving plate. Don’t boil too many at a time, they will then have some difficulty floating to the surface.
- Serve hot with melted butter and red whortleberry (lingonberry) jam or cranberry jam.