Khanom Tian (ขนมเทียน) is a pyramid-shaped Chinese dessert, often served in Chinese festivals such as Sart-Jeen Day and Chinese New Year. This dessert consists of two main parts: the dough and the filling. The filling can be salty or sweet, and this recipe covers the sweet filling.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Dough Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Sweet Filling Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Procedure[edit | edit source]
Making the Dough[edit | edit source]
- Melt the palm sugar in a pan with coconut milk and cool to room temperature.
- Mixed the glutinous rice flour with the coconut milk until a smooth and slightly sticky dough is formed.
- Let the dough sit while covered for 3 hours or overnight.
Making the Sweet Filling[edit | edit source]
- Put the palm sugar and water in a pan and simmer until dry enough.
- Add coconut and simmer with palm sugar and water until it is sticky.
- Let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
Filling the Khanom Tian[edit | edit source]
- Get the banana leaves ready by washing the banana leaves.
- Cut them with scissors into two rounded sizes. One is 16-18 cm in diameter and the others 12-14 cm in diameter.
- Place a large section and a small section together with the dull sides facing each other. Do this for all the leaves.
- Oil your hand and roll a 3 cm chunk of dough into a ball, and flatten it into a circle.
- Place a ball of filling into the dough, and gently fold the dough around the filling and pinch the seams shut.
- Place the dough balls into a dish with a vegetable oil so that they do not stick together.
Making the Banana Leaf Pyramids[edit | edit source]
- Fold one end of the banana leaf into a cone, and drop in the stuffed dough ball.
- Fold over the shorter side of the cone.
- Fold over both sides of the banana leaf perpendicularly to the cone seam.
- Tuck the long tail into the little slot.
- Fold over the long tail that is left, and put it into the slot. Then crease the folds of the pyramid a bit to make it strong.
Cooking[edit | edit source]
Place all of the pyramids in a single layer into a steamer, and steam 20-30 minutes. Let the pyramids cool a bit and eat.