Cookbook:Indian Baked Yoghurt with Saffron and Cardamom
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
Pudding[edit | edit source]
- 200 g sweetened condensed milk
- 200 g natural set or Greek yoghurt
- pinch of green cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon pistachio nuts, cut into slivers
- 1 tablespoon raisins, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes, then drained
Figs in syrup
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 300 ml water
- finely pared zest of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cloves
- 2.5 cm piece cassia bark or cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 4 ripe figs
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Preheat the oven to 150˚C (130˚C fan oven), mark 2. Line four ramekins with paper muffin cases.
- Whisk the condensed milk, yoghurt, and cardamom powder together in a bowl, then fold in the pistachios and raisins. Pour the mixture into the lined ramekins. Stand them in a roasting tin and pour enough warm water into the tin to come almost halfway up the sides of the moulds. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until set.
- Meanwhile, prepare the figs. Put the sugar, water, lemon zest and juice, and spices into a heavy-based pan. Cook over low heat until the sugar has dissolved, then gradually bring to the boil.
- In the meantime, cut each fig vertically into four. Add the figs to the sugar syrup and simmer for two minutes, then take the pan off the heat. Leave the figs to cool in syrup.
- On removing the baked puddings from the oven, take the ramekins out of the water-bath and set aside to cool.
- To serve, unmould the puddings on to serving plates, arrange the figs on top, and drizzle the poaching syrup around the plates.