Cookbook:Idiyappam (South Indian Rice Noodles)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Idiyappam (South Indian Rice Noodles)|
Idiyappam (rice noodles) is a South Indian food, usually served for breakfast.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 cup raw rice flour (i.e. not roasted flour)
- 1 cup water (hot water preferred by some)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp ghee
- salt to taste
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Mix rice flour with hot water and salt.
- Knead it into a smooth dough.
- Fill it in an idiyappam presser/sieve and press it onto banana leaves on which a little grated coconut has been sprinkled, or press it directly onto an idli pan without banana leaves.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes. Some people add a little grated coconut on top before steaming.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Idiyappams may be served with egg curry or brown chickpea (kadala) curry. In some places it is eaten dipped in fresh coconut milk mixed with sugar.