From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Idiyappam (rice noodles) is a South Indian food, usually served for breakfast.
- 1 cup raw rice flour (i.e., not roasted flour)
- 1 cup water (hot water preferred by some)
- ½ cup grated coconut
- 1 tsp ghee
- salt to taste
- Mix rice flour with hot water and salt
- Knead it into a smooth dough.
- Fill it in an idiyappam presser/sieve and press it onto banana leaves on which a little grated coconut has been sprinkled, or press it directly onto an idli pan without banana leaves.
- Steam for 5-10 minutes. Some people add a little grated coconut on top before steaming.
Idiyappams may be served with egg curry or brown chickpea (kadala) curry. In some places it is eaten dipped in fresh coconut milk mixed with sugar.