Hilbah, (Arabic: حلبة) also spelled Holbah, is a condiment or dollop made from ground fenugreek seeds (Trigonella foenum-graecum), typically consumed with a morsel of bread (sop), or added as flavoring to hot soups. Its preparation is mostly found in Yemen, Israel and other Middle-Eastern countries.
- 3 T ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 C water
- 1 lemon or citric acid
- coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 T of zḥug (hot sauce made from red peppers, garlic, coriander leaves, etc.)
- Take fenugreek seeds (finely ground) and soak in water for 3 hours (batch will greatly expand).
- Whisk with spatula until paste becomes light and frothy (gradually add more water if necessary).
- Add finely chopped coriander leaves (cilantro), and chopped leeks.
- Add salt and lemon juice (or citric acid).
- Add zḥug to batch while mixing
- (optional) Add grated tomato