From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This popular Bulgarian dish makes one serving.
- About 200-300 grams cheese (you may use as many different kinds of cheese as you like, but make sure to include feta cheese as it is the traditional one for this dish and is not as oily when it melts)
- 1 egg
- various chopped herbs
And everything else is optional because Bulgarians use whatever is left over in the fridge to make this dish:
- any kind of cooked chicken, pork, or beef
- any kind of sausages or hot dogs
- vegetables: tomatoes, peppers, small hot pepper, mushrooms, cooked potatoes
- fresh greens: parsley, dill, celery leaves
- Chop or dice everything you want to put in.
- Make alternating layers of cheese, meat, and vegetables, and finish with cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 200 C (app. 375 F) for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Break the egg on top and put back in the oven for another 5-10 minutes depending on how well-done you like your eggs.
- Serve with fresh bread or toast. Enjoy!