Cookbook:Green Chili Beef Stew
(Redirected from Cookbook:Green Chili Stew)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Green Chili Beef Stew is a New Mexican dish that is considered the beef stew of New Mexico. It is a basic dish with as many variations as there are cooks. It is usually served with tortillas or sopapillas.
Ingredient[edit | edit source]
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cubed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 6 green New Mexican chiles, roasted and peeled
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 to 4 cups water
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup of chopped celery
- 15 oz canned corn
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Heat the oil in a skillet. Add the beef cubes, and brown on all sides. Transfer the browned meat to a stock pot.
- Add the onions to the skillet, and sauté until they are browned.
- Add the garlic to the onions, and cook for an additional couple of minutes.
- Transfer the garlic and onions to the stock pot with the meat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 1 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- The amount of corn can be doubled if desired.