Cookbook:Green Chili Stew
Green Chili Stew is a New Mexican dish that is known as the beef stew of New Mexico. It is a basic dish with as many variations as there are cooks. Usually served with tortillas or sopapillas.
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- 6 green New Mexican roasted and peeled chiles
- 2 peeled and dice potatoes
- 3 to 4 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup of celery
- 1 can of corn (2 if desired)
- Place the meat in a skillet and brown it in the oil, remove the meat and place it in a stock pot.
- Put the onions in the skillet, and sauté until they are browned.
- Add the garlic and cook for an additional couple of minutes.
- Remove them from the skillet and add to the meat.
- Add all the remaining ingredients, and simmer for 1 to 2 hours or until the meat is very tender.