Goong Ten(Dancing Shrimp Salad)(Thai:กุ้งเต้น) is a popular dish in Northeast Thailand and Laos. It is fresh raw shrimp in spicy sauce with fresh herbs. Goong Ten is a street food that can be found at E-san restaurants or in fresh markets. Goong Ten is still not accepted by some people because this dish is eaten while the shrimp are still alive. Nowadays, most people freeze the shrimp in ice or put them in cold water before preparing them.
1. 1 cup of live freshwater shrimp
2. 3 Chopped shallots
3. 3 tablespoons of sliced lemongrass
4. 1 tablespoon of sliced chilis
5. 2 tablespoons of sliced fresh coriander
6. 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
7. 2 tablespoons of sugar
8. 1 tablespoon of lime juice
9. Peppermint leaves are optional
1. Clean freshwater shrimp well.
2. Put the shrimp in cold water for 5 minutes or until they stop moving. Drain dry and set aside.
3. Make the spicy sauce by mixing the fish sauce, sugar, chili, and lime juice together.
Test and flavor it as desired. Add more chili for a more spicy taste or add more lime for a more sour taste.
4. Shake the shrimp with the spicy sauce in a bag and mix it well.
5. Serve with some peppermint leaves and coriander.