From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 4 sticks butter, melted (2 C)
- 2 C dark molasses
- 2 t cinnamon
- a little allspice
- 1 t ground cloves
- 1 lb dark brown sugar
- 1 t nutmeg
- 1 T ground ginger (or several times more for spicier ginger flavor)
- a little black pepper
- 10–12 C flour
Makes 500 cookies
- Soften butter and put in a large bowl; add molasses, sugar, and spices; mix.
- Add flour, mixing in one cup at a time up to 10 cups, working first with a fork, then by hand. Add another cup or two of flour until the dough holds together.
- Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Roll as thin as possible and cut with cookie cutters.
- Bake for 7 minutes per batch. Let cool on a rack.