Bulgar side dish- I made this for a pot luck and was asked to share the recipe.
- 2 T. margarine
- 1/2 c. celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped (I usually use a little less)
- 1 c. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 c. bulgur or cracked wheat
- 1/4 tsp. dried dillweed
- 1/4 tsp. dried whole oregano
- 1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 2 c. chicken or vegetable broth
- Melt margarine in a large skillet; add celery, onion and mushrooms. Stir until vegetables are tender
- Add bulgur and cook until golden
- Add seasonings and broth, cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
If you are cooking on a gas stove, make sure to stir once or twice during the 15 minute simmering.
If available, I sprinkle in a little fresh parsley at the end of the cook time.