Jump to navigation Jump to search
Fried okra means summer in the southern states of the USA. A quick mid-day meal; a side-dish at the evening meal -- easy to make and always tasty.
- Fresh okra
- Buttermilk or plain milk
- Corn meal
- Selected spices - salt, pepper, cayenne, thyme, etc.
- Wash and drain a couple of handfuls of fresh okra.
- Cut each okra into three or four slices, about 3/4 to one inch long (2-2.5 cm). Discard the stem.
- Soak the okra in buttermilk or plain milk, drain, then dredge in seasoned flour & corn meal. A quick way to do this is to put a half cup of flour and a cup of corn meal in a plastic bag, add the spices you like (salt, pepper, cayenne, cumin, thyme, etc.), put in the okra and shake.
- Let the okra rest a few minutes. If any pieces look soggy, dredge them again in a flour/corn meal mix.
- Fry the okra in hot oil until a light to medium brown. They're done in 2-3 minutes.
- Drain, and enjoy!