Cookbook:Florida Style Crab Cakes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Florida Style Crab Cakes|
|Servings||5 crab cakes|
- 1 teaspoon Florida Bay seasoning (see note)
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 egg
- ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced chives
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- juice of ½ lime
- white pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- ⅓ cup Italian bread crumbs
- 2 pounds lump crab meat, picked over to remove shell bits and cartilage
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine Florida Bay seasoning, mayonnaise, egg, mustard, cayenne, chives, cilantro, coriander, and lime juice in a large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with white pepper and kosher salt.
- Fold in the bread crumbs and crab meat as gently as possible, trying to avoid breaking up the lumps.
- Rest mixture in the refrigerator ½ to 2 hours.
- Divide and shape into 5 patties.
- Heat butter in a large heavy-bottomed skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat.
- Cook the crab cakes in the butter about 2 minutes per side, until golden brown on both sides.
- Lower heat to medium and cook until the cakes are hot but still moist on the inside, about an additional 3 to 5 minutes per side.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Note: Florida Bay seasoning, also known as Old Florida Bay seasoning and Florida seasoning, may be difficult to find locally. It is available through several Internet-based merchants (Google "Florida Bay seasoning").
- Alternatively, you could substitute Old Bay seasoning.