Cookbook:Ertesuppe (Pea Soup)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Ertesuppe (Pea Soup)|
|Time||Overnight plus 2 hours|
Ertesuppe (pea soup) is a soup using dry yellow Swedish split peas and the butt portion of ham.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 16 oz split yellow Swedish peas
- 12 cup water
- 2–3 lb smoked pork butt
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Soak the dry peas overnight in about 4 cups of cold water.
- Add 8 cups of water to the peas and soaking water. Simmer the peas in a pot until soft.
- In a separate pot, boil the smoked butt for 40 minutes per pound.
- Cut the smoked butt into small cubes, and add to the softened pea stock.
- Add the onion and half the salt and pepper. Adjust to taste, and mix in the thyme.
- Cook for at least 5 minutes together, adding water from the meat if the stock is too thick. Cook longer if it is too thin.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- Serve immediately, or chill and reheat for the next day. Serve as dinner course, or with bread for a simple meal.