Chili originated in Texas in the 1800s. There are many variations of chili.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
A very simple chili recipe consists of the following ingredients:
- 30 oz. medium or dark red kidney beans
- 30 oz. crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 - 1 lb. cooked ground beef, turkey, or equivalent portion of vegetarian ground beef substitute
- 2 tsp chili powder, or use chili-flavored kidney beans above
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Taste kidney beans for flavor to determine when done.
- Serve with crackers, shredded cheese, and your favorite spices.
It is important to soak (for 12 hours) and pre-cook dried beans. Dried kidney beans will cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea unless they have been boiled briskly (a slow cooker will not do - it can even make things worse) for at least twenty minutes to destroy the very indigestible phytohaemagglutinin that they contain - they will then need another 60-90 minutes slow simmer to be tender. Tinned kidney beans are quite safe and do not need pre-cooking as their preparation involves sufficient heat to destroy the toxin.)