Cookbook:Deep Fried Chickpea Dough Balls (Chyueeam)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Deep Fried Chickpea Dough Balls (Chyueeam)|
|Time||soak: 8 hours|
prep: 20-50 minutes
Cheyeeam are deep-fried balls of ground chickpeas.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- ½ kg kadalai paruppu (Bengal gram, small brown chickpeas)
- ½ kg vellam (jaggery, unrefined palm sugar)
- 10 elackai (elachi, cardamom pods)
- ½ kg maida mavu (refined wheat flour)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 litre cooking oil
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Soak kadalai paruppu in clean water for at least 8 hours. They will double in size, so allow extra water for them to soak up.
- Boil kadalai paruppu. This should take about 40 minutes in a regular pot on the stove, or about 9 minutes in a pressure cooker (plus 10 minutes to depressurise).
- Grind boiled kadalai paruppu with the jaggery and elachi, without adding any water, to make a dough.
- Make small balls with the dough.
- Make a thin batter with the maida and water. Add salt as needed.
- Dip the dough balls in the batter.
- Pour the oil in a pan. Heat until a small piece of dough floats and bubbles when added.
- Add a few battered dough balls. Deep fry individually until golden.