Cookbook:Deep Fried Chickpea Dough Balls (Chyueeam)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Deep Fried Chickpea Dough Balls (Chyueeam)|
|Time||soak: 8 hours|
prep: 20-50 minutes
Cheyeeam - deep-fried balls of ground chickpeas.
- ½ kg kadalai paruppu (Bengal gram, small brown chickpeas)
- ½ kg vellam (jaggery, unrefined palm sugar)
- 10 elackai (elachi, cardamom pods)
- ½ kg maida mavu (refined wheat flour)
- 1 litre cooking oil
- salt, to taste
- water for the maida dough
- Soak kadalai paruppu in clean water for at least 8 hours. They will double in size, so allow extra water for them to soak up!
- For pooranam, boil kadalai paruppu. This should take about 40 minutes in a pot, or about 9 minutes in a pressure cooker (plus 10 minutes to depressurise).
- Grind boiled kadalai paruppu with the jaggery and elachi, without adding any water, making a dough. Make small balls with the dough.
- Make fine dough of maida with a little water, forming a dense consistency. Add salt as needed.
- Soak pooranam balls in the maida dough.
- Pour the oil in a pan. After heating oil, add a few pooranam balls. Deep fry individually until golden.