|Time||prep: 12.5 hours|
Coffee concentrate is produced through the cold brew method, in which ground coffee is soaked in water for several hours, then strained, leaving a strong coffee liquid. Coffee made from coffee concentrate is generally less acidic than regularly brewed coffee and can be prepared stronger or weaker per the individual drinker's taste. It can be kept refrigerated for two to three weeks.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 pound ground coffee OR coffee and chicory blend
- 3.5 quarts mineral water
- 2 1 gallon jars
- cheese cloth
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Add coffee grounds to jar.
- Pour mineral water over grounds, stirring only to ensure all coffee is wet.
- Let mixture stand for 10-12 hours (best to let it sit over night).
- Line sieve with cheesecloth and place or hold over other jar. Pour coffee mixture into sieve, allowing grounds to collect.
- Discard coffee grinds and store coffee concentrate in the refrigerator. It will keep for two to three weeks.
- To prepare coffee from concentrate, use a ratio of concentrate:water of 1:2 or 1:3 depending on taste.