Cinnamon croûtons are a sweet variation on the classic salad croûton, which can be used to enhance a fruit salad. Alternately, these croûtons make a good addition to pumpkin, sweet potato or carrot soups.
- 4 slices day-old French bread, cubed
- 4 tablespoons walnut oil
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Makes enough croûtons for 4 to 6 servings of fruit salad.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (~180°C).
- Pour the walnut oil into a pan and fry the bread cubes in it, tossing to coat with oil.
- Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and garnish with cinnamon sugar. Bake for 8 minutes or until crispy and dry. Allow to cool well before handling, as the sugar will make these croûtons easier to brown, and thus hotter to handle initially.