Cookbook:Chicken Soup with Cream and Lemon
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cream and a little lemon juice and zest help kick up the flavor of ordinary chicken soup!
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 Tbs lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 Tbs minced garlic
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 4 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 12 sprigs fresh thyme
- 5 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/2 large carrot, finely diced
- 3 bay leaves
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium low heat. Add garlic, onion, celery, carrot, and a pinch of salt and cook until onion is translucent. Avoid browning if you wish to keep the soup lighter in color.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook 30 minutes.
- Remove herbs (if you wish) and check for taste. Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
Notes, Tips, and Variations
If you're feeling adventurous, add some cayenne, hot sauce, or red pepper flakes to add some heat! Chipotle chiles also work beautifully.