Jump to navigation Jump to search
Cookbook | Ingredients | Recipes | Cuisine of the United States
Chicken Riggies (recipe by P.A. Johnson) is a Utica, NY classic. It is well known throughout the greater Mohawk Valley and once a year there is a festival in honor of this dish called Riggiefest, held to benefit the YWCA of the Mohawk Valley. Here is a recipe based from a Mohawk Valley native: http://miocibo.com/2008/12/21/chicken-riggies/.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 stick margarine (not butter), melted
- 1 onion, minced
- 2–5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jar (20 oz) sweet peppers, sliced and seeded
- 3 sliced hot cherry peppers (jarred ones with oil)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 lb boneless chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
- ½ pint cream
- 1 small can sliced black olives
- 1–1½ lb rigatoni pasta, cooked
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Sauté onion, peppers, and garlic in the margarine slowly over low/medium heat until the onions are clear.
- Add the Parmesan, chicken breast, chicken stock, tomato sauce, cream, and olives. Simmer for about an hour.
- Serve over the cooked pasta.
Notes, tips, and variations[edit | edit source]
- It is important to use jarred peppers—the flavor of fresh peppers completely changes the recipe.