Chicken Fried Steak is a hearty food dish in the southern USA. The dish is commonly served with mashed potatoes smothered in chicken fried steak gravy.
Chicken Fried Steak is, simply, a cut of steak (usually cheap round steak)pounded until tender and then breaded like you would bread chicken, and fried in oil. Milk, salt, flour and pepper are added to the grease drippings and used to make a thick gravy, which is generously poured over the steak and, usually, mashed potatoes. Many people think the gravy makes the steak!
- white flour, as needed plus 3 tbsp
- 2 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk, combined with 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 beef cube steaks, 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tbsp bacon drippings, divided
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/3 cup chicken broth
- Pour 2 tbsp drippings into a 12 inch cast-iron skillet.
- Preheat pan at medium high heat.
- Wet hand, drip 1 drop of water in pan to test the heat. If it sizzles, it's hot enough. Not too much water though or it may sizzle so much you get hot grease on you!
- Mix eggs with seasonings.
- Trim each steak.
- Dip steaks into eggs.
- Dredge steak into flour thoroughly on both sides.
- When the pan is hot enough, put steaks in pan in a triangle formation.
- Fry until golden brown, 4 minutes per side.
- Remove steak(s) from pan and place in a 200 degree oven.
- Pour remaining drippings into pan and lower heat to medium. Add flour and cook, whisking, until light blonde color is achieved.
- Add chicken broth and deglaze pan, whisking. Add cream mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until gravy coats back of spoon.
- Drizzle over steaks and serve.
- When heating the pan in step 2. Wet hand, drip 1 drop of water in pan to test the heat. If it sizzles, it's hot enough. Not too much water though or it may sizzle so much you get hot grease on you!
- Don't let the gravy get too thick.