Cherbet Meliana (شربات مليانة) is a refreshing Algerian drink. As the name indicates it, the drink originates from Meliana, a town located in Aïn Defla Province, northwestern Algeria, where it is considered a traditional drink. The consumption of the drink has considerably ceased due to the decrease of production of cherries in the region.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1kg of sugar cubes
- 1 glass of warm water
- 1 glass of pressed cherry juice
- 1 tsp of broken fruit pits
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Mix sugar cubes with warm water. Add pressed cherry juice and broken fruit pits.
- Bring to a boil over high heat while skimming until the syrup drips into a thin stream.
- Remove from heat and strain. Bottle. Serve with sparkling or still water.
Variations[edit | edit source]
- This beverage can also be prepared with lemon, grape or pomegranate juice.