From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Crispy on the outside, sweet, and fruity.
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp dark rum
- 1 vanilla bean, split and scraped
- Combine vanilla bean and liquid ingredients except rum and 1/4 cup brown sugar.
- Heat over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and has thickened slightly, 15-30 minutes.
- Remove vanilla pod and let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Dip pineapple into sugar mixture then dredge in remaining sugar, adding more as needed.
- Place on a greased baking sheet and place under broiler, shaking constantly until well browned.
- Remove pineapple;keep warm.
- Place pan on two burners and heat over high heat. Add rum and ignite. Scrape browned bits off of pan and boil rum until reduced by half.
- Add rum to remaining sugar mixture and stir. Serve pineapple with remaining sugar mixture on the side.