Cookbook:Boston Baked Beans
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 4 cups canned kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup blackstrap, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp dark rum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 6 rashers thick cut bacon, sliced (or 5 drops liquid smoke)
- 1 tbsp bacon fat
- Cook bacon. Separate from fat and place 1 tbsp fat into a large stainless steel pan. Add kidney beans and sauté over medium high heat. Add rum and tilt to ignite.*
- Add remaining ingredients and bacon and fold to combine. Bake in a 325° oven for 1 1/2 hours, adding blackstrap occasionally to prevent drying.
- If you do not have a gas stove, simply light with a fire stick.